Sunday 14 November 2010

House on Telegraph Hill

To-day I had an appointment with dental hygienist and it was ugh ugh and the time of writing it is still ugh ugh. This summer I decided to change dentist from the practice of over thirty years to one which has been incorporated into the health centre at the bottom of hill. An x ray photograph was taken of the inside my mouth and then displayed on screen for me to see with problem areas identified. It was impressive. I was advised that I had the makings of gum disease which could affect not just the teeth but the physical system so appointments were made for the dental Hygienist, the first this morning and the second tomorrow afternoon. It was silly of me to have agreed to a 10 am appointment given by recent tendency to stay up until the early hours and then sleep with rough the greater [art of the morning, I nearly got the alarm clock set but there was always something more important to do until I was too tired to do anything, I also knew that if I need to wake up early I usually manage to do so such as on Mondays for the rubbish collection, regardless of the time of going to bed. I went to bed around 1 am and then work consistently throughout the night almost every hour, such was the anxiety and then rose around 6 am giving me over three hours for work, a hot drink, some toast, several cleaning of teeth, changing clothes and walking down the hill in bright but chilly sunlight, I arrive in good time and relaxed. I had taken a notebook but unusually there was nothing I wanted to write other than some notes of possible activities later in the day.

I do not like being ill and fortunately the closest to requiring medical processes has been the dentist. I have to say if the choice is between a filling and the treatment this morning with another half session to morrow then it is a close call! However the teeth and mouth feels better quite apart from the longer term benefits.


I needed to treat myself to a good lunch later. An small carton of mixed olives, followed by baked sea bass and a banana. Later there was tea and puff pastry mince pie, watching the House on Telegraph Hill a clever and serious film noir. A leading Polish woman polish woman loses everything when Germany invades but fortunately she has managed to get her baby son to an equally wealthy aunt living in the United States in a house on Telegraph Hill overlooking San Francisco and the location for a dozen Hollywood moves and even more TV dramas. In Belsen she befriends another polish woman of substance who also has lost everything and promises to take her with her tot he United State but she does not survive so the other woman assume her identity and when rescued by the allies chooses to go to a resettlement camp after being interested by American Major who she subsequently finds out is also from San Francisco. In the meantime she is advised that the aunt has died after making contact and with no reference to the son. It takes her four years to get to the States and to visit the lawyer who contacted her and finds that the son has been adopted by a male relative and therefore becomes the guardian of his substantial estate. They form relationship and being Hollywood 1951 there is no on screen chemistry and no hint of sexual passion. It is marriage of convenience from the outset. Even stranger is the onscreen relationship between mother and child complicated by her own initial guilt knowing she is not his real mother and the existence of a young nanny who clearly had a relationship with the aunt, and the boy and male relative which makes the woman from Belsen feel an instant outsider.


The clue to unravelling this dark tale is the playhouse at on one edge of the garden where the son believes he caused an explosion with his chemistry kit while the nanny says it was caused by the storage of chemicals. And not to tell the husband and guardian. The film could have been sub titled I may be paranoid but they are still out to get me, for the guardian did murder his aunt to get his hand on the money and attempted to kill the boy and has been stopped by the nanny despite apparently being a party to the killing of his relative and the plot to also kill his wife car breaks tampered with on a ride down the hill and then with a super draught of sleeping powder in the nightly orange drink before bedtime. However she turns the tables he dies, the nasty nanny is also carted off and she, the boy and the Major live to tell the tale. The woman and the nanny are the two most sexless women ever to appear in a Hollywood picture together, thee child is pretty ugh ugh. It was a good antidote to the morning and Prime Minister's Question Time.

I have adored Bruce Springsteen's music since attending my first live concert at St James Park. I did not enjoy as much as I would subsequently because of a cold and rushing to the concert from work. The best involved a trip to Sheffield, returning in the early hours of the morning, and the third at Crystal Palace the day after return from Gibraltar where I had taken the ashes of my care mother to be buried in the grave of her parents. I would be exhausted long before him and his band with a tendency to play from between three and four hours. I managed to acquire most of his records until then and as is often the case with artists associated with a time in ones life I rarely take to subsequent music as those played over days, weeks, months and in case decades. I never tire not matter how often the many favourites are heard and find myself getting into the groove. I doubt if I will get round to working out if he is the top of my list of artists as opposed to individual works that this applies. I have most of the records of Billie Holiday and she is another.

Highway 29 from Ghost of Tom Joad, I wish I was Blind from The Human Touch(yesterday) Sherry Darling from the River, I wanna be with you (yesterday) World's Apart from the Rising; Radio Nowhere from Magic. Mrs McGrath from the We shall overcome Seager Sessions; Incident on 52 street from The innocent and wild; Born in the USA live recordings 75-85 (I have the set as albums); No Surrender from Born in the USA (I have it I have it) Leah from Devils and Dust new to me. Mans Job from MTV unplugged (saw it) 82 second street from yesterday. Live in Dublin Old Man Tucker. Growing up from 18 tracks album. The Ties that Bind from the River. Tenth Avenue Freeze out from Born to Run. 4th July Ashbury Park (Sandy) from the Wild the innocent. Long Walk Home from Magic like it like it like it. Cautious Man from Tunnel of Love. Prove it all night : Darkness at the edge of town (comment it is always a lonely feeling entering the darkness at the edge of town on motor journeys alone) Youngstown from yesterday.

The surprise of the day was the performance of a significantly depleted English team with nine players of previous winning squad our for various reasons. Shawn Wright Phillips was back and played at his best and so did, for once Stuart Downing. It was very confident performance winning 2.1 and could have scored more and the goal against was a bad mistake so 4.0 would have been a better reflection of the play. Although who have knocked this kind of friendly especially me now have to eat their hats or whatever.


Prime Ministers Question time was a strange affairs with the Conservative trying to wrestle some political advantage for the present situation, knocking the Government as hard as it could while the Prime Minister was away at he world economic summit and then in advance of the Autumn statement tomorrow arguing the Party had to abandon previous commitments to keep to government spending plans, as the tax cuts will have to remain and therefore the spending plans had to be trimmed to pay back borrowing. In my judgement this has been the wrong tactic an they should have retained the cautious standing back approach and held their previous position and then launched the attack when it was more certain what was going to happen, pressing the argument about cause and effect and then modifying plans. The only justification for rushing is that they fear or have gained knowledge of the intention to hold a Spring General Election in the wake of the Obama Presidential 100 first days, and a change in the Labour standing following the Christmas give away.. First the tax hand out re the 10p, then the Christmas bonus and the new tax reduction possibly in VAT across the EEC to stimulate Christmas buying.

Late night I watched an engaging Inspector Wexford partly set in Italy even though I guessed the plot early on. However I could not enjoy because the substance was the calculated murder of a beautiful young woman for money, by her husband with the assistance of another.

I have not returned to Baby P for several reasons but will do so after getting up to date and attending to other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment