Tuesday 19 October 2010

The boy in the stripped Pyjamas

This afternoon I saw the most important film ever made. It is called The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

The film is set in Nazi Germany and involves a Berlin based family whose soldier father becomes the head of an extermination concentration camp. The focus of the film is the relationship between the soldier's son and a boy of similar age who he discovers on the other side of the wire. If you are someone who is emotionally affected by dramas about past reality with present significance it is wise not to experience the film alone and arrange to view with someone of similar outlook and feelings

It is a film which everyone should see although I am not sure what the youngest age should be.

Some fifty years ago I read the official reports of the War Crimes Tribunal in relation to those prosecuted in relation to two extermination camps. It led me to half a decade or so later committing acts of non violent civil disobedience in protest against weapons of mass destruction and to also undertaking a spontaneous non violent protest outside of South Africa House because of apartheid and the Sharpsville shootings.

I had intended to spend the day at cricket but there was no play because the ground remained waterlogged so I went to the cinema instead. Afterwards I did a mixture of a shop, buying some essentials, including milk and bread, and three medium size whole chickens for £10. I then decided to stock up on inexpensive sauces for fish, [pasta and stir-fry as well as a six pack of premium Peroni beer, the most expensive beer on offer. I drank the first bottle before going to bed knowing it would cause me to rise during the rest of the night more frequently than usual

No comments:

Post a Comment