Sunday 22 August 2010

Death at a Funeral

As an antidote to Olympic and sporting saturation I watched a film.

The choice was between a foreign language film and a comedy. I could not remember why I had added either to DVD list and decided upon the comedy, although usually I do not find advertised comedies laughing out loud funny. Death at a Funeral is described as a black comedy and although a British film, it enjoyed some success in the USA and in Australia. At first the film appears to be about what can wrong at a family funeral which brings together people who do not usually get on with each other and lead very different lives but then into this conventional mix is added a home made psychedelic hallucinogen and the secret male lover of the deceased, out to make a modest but blackmailed sum in the all the circumstances and apparent wealth of the family. The sequence of events was very English, credible and funny and therefore surprising that the film is reported to have enjoyed such success down under and across the pond.

The film brightened what quickly became a disappointing day as I struggled to do any work over eat and experienced Olympic anticlimax and saturation after just a morning. The British Judo great hope failed again in his first round match, outwitted by his opponent although there is doubt about the only score which saw him through into subsequent rounds. Our cert for a medal also failed to win through the repercharge rounds to contest the Bronze. With the Great Boxing hope sent home because he failed to make the required weight. It was not the start which the British team at the games had hoped and planned for.

There was also potential disaster with one of our great sailing medal hopes as he was caught out by a change in tide and moved down from first to tenth position in the first race, but came through to win the second so had a third position after the first of several days sailing. A British girl's sailing team in this first class of the competition also ended the two races in a good position for the week ahead

However a Chinese man murdered an American and the committed suicide while a member of the New Zealand media was attacked and both instances were being reported as taking the gloss off the opening ceremony euphoria.

South Africa rallied in the final test much affected by rain and I just was not in the mood to watch the many football friendlies especially I thought I was to watch Sunderland in Ireland but got the showings wrong although a replay is being shown in the morning.

I bought some biscots French Toasts for the trip to Portsmouth and Nottingham and then forgot to take them with me so they are being eaten for breakfast. As I will want to leave for the cricket tomorrow around 12.30 I decided to cook the chicken to day which I enjoyed with a few small roast vegetables and a small packet vegetables followed by a banana and some strawberries. I then had a glass of wine with peanuts, a few Belgian chocolate thins, a packet soup in a cup, some pasta stuffed with spinach and some grapes in an extended meal during the afternoon and evening knowing beforehand hat I would regret doing so and that I was doing so in response to feeling tired and generally discontented.

In part this arose from reviewing my financial expenditure, the cost of new glasses and the cost of the starter motor. I got a round to writing to the vehicle repairer and Hampshire Cricket to find out if the prescription sun glasses had been found and handed in. I fancied having another week away combining Durham at the Rose Bowl County championship with further visits to the Isle of Wight and Portsmouth Naval Harbour, but realised that with the London trip shortly I could not justify the expense. I decided to move some funds between accounts on line and made a mess of the required codes so asked for some information not realising that it would take three working days by post. I then found the missing information but the system had already locked me out and I then could not remember relevant information quick enough to use the telephone service, although eventually achieved what I had set out to do. But only after taking a lot of time.

It was not all negative activity. The thought of getting to the coach station by eight and then travelling for seven hours was such that I searched and found a cheap single fare for a ten thirty Newcastle Train which arrives early afternoon. I also discovered that putting wireless on the lap top and then attaching to the desk top based network worked, I was able to get on line in all rooms down stairs and first floor rooms. Was too lazy to try the top floor although the desk top is still modem phone connected and went off line when I first transferred the telephone to the lap top before realising that I could disconnect this and remain connected. This encourages to be being able to establish a full home wireless network system when I return from the London trip. I must think more about how I will use my time in London although Sunday is committed and Saturday is Albert Hall day and perhaps visit a South Kensington museum depending on the weather as well as doing a tour of the Hall before the concert. So far I have decided not to take my camera on this visit or the time clock, learning how to set the alarm on the phone. Nor books, or CD player and limit clothing so will take only a couple of bags.

I did do some work, played chess and hearts, and slept through early evening TV but my overall mood did not change. Another bright spot was to watch a video of one of my first MySpace music friends Margot McDonald. I cannot remember how this came to be so except that on viewing the profile I was impressed that a young female singer song writer still at performing arts school was interested in environmental and civil rights issues as well as working toward peaceful resolution of conflicts. The voice showed promise but reflected the comparative inexperience of life. Her latest Blog attached a video performance of the Cohen song Hallelujah, one of my favourite songs, and eighteen months after first listening I found that the voice had begun to show the maturity and depth which I believed was there as a fifteen year old. Voted the promising new artist in the Washington area, with two albums and has been invited to be the artist in residence at the Strathmore music centre 2008-2009, I love it when a hunch become real. My hunch is that she will make it to Glastonbury within my life time.

The trouble is that I also have an unspecified foreboding and my record of hunches is sadly a good one,. Especially with the sense of doom and disaster, although these are fortunately rare given my nature to always look on the bright side and see the best in others and in situations. This makes bad feelings more disturbing. Hopefully it remains just a feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment